Charlton Adam, St Peter & St Paul

A major project to restore the C16 bell frame and peal of five bells. The project involved repair and recovering of the tower roof, repair of the unusual two storey timber bell frame and refurbishment of the bells retaining their wooden headstocks and original iron fittings, and installation of a new ringing gallery within the tower base. Ringing ceased in 1922 following the addition of a clock in the earlier ringing chamber, possibly as a consequence of lives lost in the first Great War.

< previous     next >